Civil Appeals - F.A.Q.s

Can I appeal my civil case if I lose? (MAG 10)

Yes, to appeal your 'civil' case you must file a Notice of Appeal with the Clerk of Magistrate Court within thirty (30) days of the entry of judgment by the Court. (Appeals from dispossessory cases have to be filed within seven (7) days and follow a different format.)

You must send a copy of the appeal to the other party.

If your case is appealed, it will be transferred to the State Court of Gwinnett County unless you specifically request that it be transferred to the Superior Court. When a case is transferred pursuant to an appeal, the case will be assigned a new case number and will be scheduled for a new trial.

You will receive notice from the State/Superior Court as to when your new trial will be held.

Overview | Forms